These colors don’t run.
They walk tall, proud and steady
off the nearest cliff.
“looking exhausted lately”
and she “should smile more.”
a woman speaking despite
freedom of speech in daylight
to rout out the night.
I cannot forgive
the conspirators who gave
into their own fears.
To forgive police
shooting unarmed black men deems
blackness a weapon.
White is not neutral.
My heritage is filthy
My whiteness saves me
from daily heat but the sun
will kill me someday.
The jury watched her
girl run from eight bullets, two
for each year she’s lived.
I won’t sympathize
with juries who tell mothers
their child was a threat.
- Did your parents watch television with you as a child?
- Did your parents watch television news with you?
- Did your parents explain the news to you? (Explain.)
- Which parent listens more and who holds the remote?
- Did your parents take you to the movies? Whom more often?
- Did your parents ever run track?
- Did your parents let you decide for yourself?
- Did your parents ever run Amok?
- Do your parents smoke?
- Did your parents escape from somewhere far away?
- Did your parents escape from somewhere far upstate?
- How old are you?
- How old is your mother?
- How old were you when your first pet died?
- Did your family bury pets?
- Where are they buried? (Be specific.)
- Describe the dimensions and character of any one.
- Do your parents keep old photographs?
- Do you intend to keep them too?
- Did your parents have old photographs to keep?
- Where were you born?
- What state do you live in?
- What state? (Be specific.)
- Which US State do you live in?
- What US? (Explain.)
illicit solicitations from a foreign enemy
harmless contacts, couches, cuss-words, coffee
under your breath, just a note of restraint
one trillion tons of the Larsen Sea ice shelf
broke off and let surrounding waters run a ribbon
along the clean inexperienced edge, the fringe
of the continent no shortage of data or places
to sit in your apartment. Your room needs a bed.
Some of your song finds that buoyant frequency
I’ve practiced over and over in my throat
the only test I worry about is one of patience.
AM I sick to be revived by this? I think it
harmless, I am more careful now. You Jump
Into the tall lit frame of the window, you tell me
I didn’t look scared. I retire, warm with my love
a bit bunched slum, limbs were eaten up
by his clothes a few sizes too large, face
bathed in a curious storm of blue light
in her sleep. Furious today, a first peek of vulnerability:
Jupiter’s Big Red Spot, captured by scientists,
fetishized by psychologists, and canonized
by Quantum Field Mechanics heaving toolbelts
of infinite use and possible interactions
small modifications can bring you closer to
the result you want, without ever reaching
complex interaction, walking an integral path
“perhaps the most elegant equation ever devised”
I crop up in your rearview, no hands
“one hug” executed deliberately as a button up
or my hot step, guilty but not disgraceful
like masturbating with dirty fingernails
or cumming on the basil plant every morning
no measure of human suffering is not precise.
TO BUILD a little boat of experiences
and set it out without a tether
to lose your father’s childhood
attention to the red sail, are my
fixations and yours the same?
Giving you all my undue attention as
unwarranted televised back-un-forths-
unwage unwar unward unknow it uni-verse
unsung unspeaking unheard-of this day-un-age
Inane and uncouth generosity bifurcates as it plays too abruptly
to the thoughtless tune of Labor Day Mattress Sales commercials
tricast untelevised lightning storms ungulfing us unside,
as a wild boar flares its nose hairs in frustration
as impatient as cremation, as understudies beeline,
as I (underlined) afflict others by being
earthly-ever untethered to the undead
you, nowhere unceasing never (don’t say it) still
ever quietly alive and affixed to my name.
Tom, where do you live? A bias bottle ministers my juice.
Professor Lehrer will not be attending class today.
Into the shareholder trips the climate. Can an executive wreck the horizon?